Tuesday, 5 August 2014

Reasons To Be Cheerful No 1 - Bright Floral New Look 6035

Although this skirt is part of my capsule wardrobe, I think the brightly coloured and patterned fabric makes it feel not so basic.
The fabric was a remnant from someone else's project purchased online, it cost just a couple of pounds, and I'm really glad I bought it - you can't help being cheerful wearing a skirt like this :)

think the fabric is a cotton and linen blend. Anyway, it was easy to sew. I lined it because I find cotton A-line skirts wear very quickly without a lining. I used a pale green gauzy cotton that I bought to make shorts for my daughter, not realising it was both too crisp and too transparent! It makes an ideal lining for a summer skirt that will never be worn with tights (it doesn't need to be slippery). One thing I have discovered through sewing is that I am definitely a 'liner' rather than a slip wearer. Although I have a couple of half-waist slips I much prefer putting on one layer.

Here's the pattern, the 'other half' of my old denim skirt
followed all the directions this time and made no alterations, even to the length, apart from adding lining. Strangely, it turned out to be exactly the same length as my recently made red big pockets skirt (which I fiddled around with), out of the envelope. It's an easy pattern to sew, takes little fabric and I recommend it. 

I also made my first belt loops! Making belt loops is so satisfying - or that could just be me! My eldest daughter contributed an unwanted (by her) red belt to pick out the red top stitching.

First ever belt loops *proud*! One is imperfect, but I'm happy with my first try.

The skirt is really a case of heart over head as if my colour analyst saw this she would be shaking her head over her wasted time. I really do love my autumn palette, but right now I am drawn to bright colours. Maybe because it's summer? Anyway, I'll be pairing this with navy, red or black (which I can wear if I'm showing enough skin), and will try to resist the lure of those cool blues and greens.

Does the season influence your colour palette, or are you fabulously consistent?

Happy sewing, 'til next time!

Philippa x



11 comments:

  1. This skirt looks like a winner! It partners well with your new tops, I think. Skirts are a great way to play with colors because they're not right next to one's face. It's kind of funny - in the summer, I feel more daring, too, veering into softer shades. I think it's because my hair lightens and, in spite of my best efforts, I get a bit more tan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh La La! I do love this skirt. It is bright and fun and does make me smile! What a nice fit out of the envelope too!! Your hair looks lovely too, Philippa!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - I'm interested you mention the hair, as this is what it looks like dried naturally as opposed to serum & blow dry! Maybe I will wear it this way more often and save some time!

      Delete
  3. oh, so cute!! Definitely a reason to feel cheerful. I love it! and I think it will look really nice with your recently made new tops too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can see why this makes you cheerful! It's so beautifully summery, and like you say if you wear it with a red/navy/black top then your colour analyst will have nothing to reproach you with :) I find I stay with similar colours year round, but I'll veer towards lighter versions of those colours in warmer weather. Plus I seem to be much more drawn to prints and patterns, whereas in winter I'm more interested in texture.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the idea of texture coming in to the fore in the winter. I think I see that in your handknit sweaters, and I like to imagine it goes with the bare trees, bark, ploughed and bare land etc. (Excuse me, I can get a bit poetic at times!)

      Delete
  5. I like bright colours all year long. The skirt looks great on you and so could be worn with so many different tops.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the colors in this print! I think it will pair well with lots of different tops. I also love skirts with belts, so good job on the belt loops. I'm a 'liner', too. I have a couple of slips but I never feel comfortable wearing them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Agreed!!! I adore serious pops of colour and floral patterns in my wardrobe for the same reason. They're uplifting, stylish, fun, and just plain lovely to look at, very much like your charming new handmade skirt.

    Big (gentle) hugs,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks great on you! Nice combination of print and silhouette!
    And I agree with you on the lining vs. slip. The waist on the slip never hits right where the skirt waist sits and it's weird to have waistbands in different places.

    ReplyDelete