Thursday, 29 May 2014

Denim Skirt (Simplicity 2343)

As per my pledge I've made a new denim skirt:



It supplements my very well worn (but poorly sewn) New Look 6035/Simplicity 1717 mash up denim skirt made last year.

It's another heavy denim, this time with a bit of stretch. I'm hoping it's a better shape than A-line to wear with the tunic style tops I've sewn recently as the two together tend to make me look like a giant triangle, but I'm yet to really figure out what looks nice with as I've been doing a lot of decorating. Outfits have been pretty low priority. The top below (Simplicity 1920) was the nearest thing to hand.


don't know where the fabric came from, but as it had writing in felt tip pen on the wrong side it's fair to assume it was one of my early sewing days dubious bargains. At this time of year a lighter denim would have been better, but this is what I had. Still, I will be able to wear it 3 out of 4 seasons. I side stepped the issue of top stitching by not doing any, although I've had some great tips for future topstitching from three different blog-friends which I fully intend to try out. Just not on this skirt.





















Pocket linings and waistband facing are made from a sturdy old pillowslip which has a nice pattern on. I've kept the duvet cover too, so don't be surprised if you eventually see a larger piece of clothing with this print!


















The pattern is Simplicity 2343. I highly recommend it, it virtually sews itself, is true to size and can be made in a massive variety of fabrics from cottons to synthetic leather (view D), with several style variations. I made view C (without the button and chain thing). This pattern might be OOP now as I've had it for some time. I wish I'd sewn it up sooner. I chose it above my other two pencil skirt patterns because this is a casual skirt and I thought the pockets would be handy for bits and bobs on dog walks. 

I used a metal zipper for strength and made a custom zip shield as advised (thank you!). I didn't have any grosgrain ribbon to hand, so I reinforced the facing fabric with a light interfacing and used that instead.

Zip shield tacked and ready to turn over to sew for lapped zipper insertion.

I have no idea if I did this correctly because I made it up. I think perhaps it should be on the other side?l did it so it looks abit like a fly front zipper. Anyway it works and looks fine, although when the skirt was finished I saw I could have made a small improvement by extending the top piece slightly, making a buttonhole and adding a small flat button inside the top of the skirt. 
















As you can see I've extended the zip to the top of the waistband and missed off the hook and eye. I've found I do not like hook and eyes as a finish at all really and have seen quite a bit of rtw finished this way. With a zip this secure I think it will be OK, but there is just space for a small press stud which could go at the top of the zip shield and be hidden completely inside if not. Of course, having decided to miss it off, I reach for it every time I take the skirt off.

I have a real issue with lapped zipper insertions. Even following my trusted Reader's Digest sewing book (with diagrams) I managed to put it in the wrong way the first time! This is pretty much a standard part of lapped zipper insertion for me. Next time I'm just going to do the opposite to what I want and it should work fine.

How's your May going? Are you keeping your pledges?

Happy sewing, 'til next time!

Philippa x

14 comments:

  1. Very nice, I love a denim skirt and my wardrobe is definitely lacking one right now. Looks like a mega versatile pattern

    ReplyDelete
  2. And what a timelessly pretty, super versatile denim skirt it is. Perhaps because I'm a child of the 80s, I'll always have a major soft spot in my heart for denim skirts and have rarely been without one in my wardrobe. My current one is a vintage high waisted pencil skirt that I love to pieces and even brought with me on our travels to Calgary last year (I wore it the day we went up the Calgary Tower and to the Glenbow Museum). Hmm, you know, now that I think about it, maybe it should come with me to Vancouver in June. As that's just eight days away now, I need to start thinking about packing and will certainly be considering it as a travelmate. :)

    You look wonderful in your latest creation - and may I add, you have fab legs!

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i have never thought so, but thank you! I would love a vintage style denim skirt too, but I think more of an exaggerated A line with a seam down the front. That will definitely be the next denim skirt I make!

      Delete
  3. NIce! The shape is great. That is definitely a piece you will get tons of use out of.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is my favourite shape for a denim skirt, love it! And it suits you very well :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks like a really useful basic. It really suits you. I could do with a denim skirt too. I'm thinking maybe a Grainline Moss, once I am back to "normal". Although this might be a close contender. BTW have you watched the Zipper course on Craftsy, done by Sunni? It's free so worth a look. I haven't seen her lapped zip tutorial as I've never done one, but I found her invisible zip tutorial really helpful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen that, for some reason I haven't got into internet courses yet, but this definitely sounds like one I should take a look at. I'll check it out before my next lapped zipper!

      Delete
  6. I really like that outfit! The shirt and skirt just seem to go together. I never made sense of lapped zippers until I finally started using Debbie Cook's fly tutorial; even though it's for a jeans fly, the it's essentially a lapped zipper with extensions and a shield. So, long story short, it makes sense to me that your lapped zipper with a shield looks like a fly front zipper - nicely done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad it's not just me, and I'll be checking out that tutorial too!

      Delete
  7. You look great in that skirt!. I like straight skirts too, but they aren't very bike-friendly, so I usually reserve them for winter wear. I'll have to have a look in my patterns to see what I can sew up for this winter.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great skirt! I think the shape looks perfect on you. The pattern looks like a winner too - I'll have to hunt it down. I love that you can wear it 3/4 seasons :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a really versatile skirt and looks great on you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so behind on my blog reading!!! This looks like a great skirt Philippa.. I too have great difficulty doing lapped zippers. I'm not sure why... Sounds like you are very busy decorating!

    ReplyDelete