Monday, 27 January 2014

COLETTE WARDROBE ARCHITECT WORKSHEET #2: DEFINING A CORE STYLE



For the background to this week's worksheet please visit Coletterie here.

GOAL
Uncover the styles that make you feel like yourself and attach words and images to them.

When you are wearing your favorite clothing, how do you feel (e.g. confident, sexy, poised, powerful, etc)?
Comfortable, relaxed. Sometimes 'cool', very occasionally smart/stylish.


When you're wearing something that is not quite right, how do you feel? What are the feelings you want to avoid about the clothes you wear?
Fidgety...out of sorts. Silly.


Who do you consider to be your style icons? What is it about them that appeals to you?
I'm not much of an icon person. I tend to admire real people who have fantastic style whose blogs I read these days :) But these women are pretty cool, too:



Gabrielle 'Coco' Chanel in her early years -

Was my earliest style crush, representing for me freedom (of movement and behaviour), smart colour combinations, looking stylish at the beach (surely a difficult feat), and of course, bobbed hair!

Image from http://mylusciouslife.com/style-icon-coco-chanel-pictures-bio-books-movies/

Frieda Kahlo -
Original, vibrant, lived life on her own terms despite having very painful health problems.

Image from http://20134lambrate.blogspot.co.uk/2010_07_01_archive.html

Isabella Rossellini -
Another short/bobbed dark haired beauty who has aged so gracefully and never departed from her signature style.

Image from http://www.unifrance.org/annuaires/personne/19364/isabella-rossellini

What are some words that describe styles you like in theory, but are not quite you?
Frilly, ultra-feminine.


Look over your answers from last week on history, philosophy, culture, community, activities, location, and body. List at least 15 words that you associate with your answers. Think about descriptive words, moods, and feelings you associate with these things:
Practical, relaxed, appropriate, special, restricted/suppressed, rebellious, edgy, cool, square peg in round hole, relaxed (again), gentle, non-pressurised, unconflicted, outside the norm, prepared, sensitive (to feelings of body).


Are there other words you would like to add to this list? What other words describe your core style?
I'm gravitating towards more classic styles as I age.


Look over the answers to all of the questions above. If you had to narrow your list to only 3 - 5 words to describe you, which words would you choose?
Practical and relaxed would top the list. Not sure about the others.



VISUAL EXERCISE

Collect 15 - 20 images that represent these 3 - 5 words for you. You could create a pinterest board, a folder on your computer, a moodboard or a collage. Be creative and have fun!




Penwith Smock



I thought about this exercise a lot. It's already helping me identify what I really like and besides, it was fun!

Happy sewing, 'til next time!

11 comments:

  1. Philippa this is amazing! I feel like I'm learning so much about you. The pics here are gorgeous and I've always loved 'Coco' Chanel. I cried like a sissy when I watched the movie about her. My 7yr old DD watched it with me too - subtitles and all. She was one amazing woman.
    I think Relaxed and Classic come to my mind when I think of your style. And I mean those in a good way ;-) I too love relaxed and classic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kristin! I'm happy with relaxed and classic. Fortunately, I don't need to project a particular image (you know, like 'powerful' or 'professional') right now, and in many ways it's a blessing. It confers a lot of choice, but I think I'm narrowing it down!

      Delete
  2. It's awesome how thorough and well thought out this project is. I especially like that they asked participants what some words are that should describe/apply to their style in principle/theory, but which don't actually in the real world. I think most of us have at least a couple of words like that, yet rarely acknowledge them and the disconnect that may exist between those terms and our actual wardrobe. Great food for though there for sure!

    ♥ Jessica

    *PS* Thank you very much for your splendidly nice comment about my new blog design. It was serendipitous luck that one of my most recent vintage outfit shoots just happened to features colours that coordinated perfectly with the new template, so the moment I saw it (the template), I knew that was the photo I wanted to use for the sidebar profile picture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree. Those two words are ones that interest me, too! Even though I can see I fall squarely into the 'practical' camp of dressing, a touch of femininity would be nice. Maybe there's a middle ground, style-wise, that will give me a touch of both X

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such an interesting exercise Philippa! The pictures and images you chose are amazing. I find that my pinterest helps me in the same way. I will pin an image and later return to them to see if I am still drawn to them. If I am, they stay and tell me something about my style.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I am sooo tempted to start on Pinterest! I've always torn images out of magazines and of course online is much tidier and compact, but I'm wary of spending too much time online...I'll give it some more thought. It does make sense. Thanks!

      Delete
  6. I've been thoroughly enjoying your wardrobe architect posts, Philippa! I've returned a couple of times to re-read them. Maybe this is me reading into your imagery, but I like how the icons and imagery you chose show clothing in a supporting role to life and experiences.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see what you mean! I am interested in clothes, but I'm more interested in hanging out with my friends, husband, walking my dogs, enjoying the sun...four years ago I had a severe illness and while I wouldn't quite describe it as a Damascene moment I did have a chance to reflect on what was really important in life (i.e. what I would regret on my deathbed). Turns out all I really want is to spend as much time as possible with those I love. Probably most people would say the same if they stopped and thought about it!

      Delete
  7. Oh, what a brilliant idea! thank you so much for introducing this. I tend to use Pinterest to define what inspires me, but it makes good sense to write a few words analysing the key points too. I'm going to try to follow your lead... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Carolyn, I'm so glad you like this project, although I have to say you are one of those that I consider have their personal style very well sorted! I suppose it's always helpful to do a review. I can't tell you how much this has made me think about what I really like for me, rather than what looks great on others, and also what I will actually use. If you post anything as a result of your pondering, I will be fascinated to see, if not I hope you have fun reviewing :)

      Delete